Trying something new again. The WordPress iPhone app that I posted about a few days ago was nice, but it doens’t work well for longer posts. Nothing against the app. But I can type pretty quickly and it’s frustrating to have to slow down for the little keyboard. Fortunately I have my MacBook with me pretty much 24/7 so I’m giving an offline editor a try.
The one I’m trying right now is a free one called Qumana. It looks like it’s a way to get bloggers to use their ad network, but it doesn’t seem that you have to.
- Free. Always a bonus. Admittedly it looks like they’re giving it away free as a way to get bloggers to use their ads, but so far it doesn’t look like I’m getting forced into using their ads.
- Tag support. There’s an insert tag button across the top. Although right now I’m not 100% sure how it works. All it looked like it did was put links to technorati tag pages into the post, which I then deleted because I already have tag links in my theme.
- Nice, clean interface. The posting screen is clean and has plenty of room for typing in a post. Many of the editors I came across, including actually editing online through the WordPress admin, have so much stuff on the page that the post box is tiny.
- Doesn’t seem to support WYSIWYG in the blog theme. There is an editor that can bold, italicize, and all of that; but it’s using the computer fonts and not showing what it will actually look like on site.
- Can’t find a way to publish the post to my blog as a draft. It would be nice to be able to save it as a draft on site, preview it there, and then actually publish. Maybe not a big deal. We’ll see after I’ve used this for a few posts.
- Can’t find a way to insert more breaks into the post. On most of my posts, this one included, I like to use the more tag so that the entire post doesn’t show up on the list pages.
- And as I’m typing I found another… The WYSIWYG editor doesn’t always refresh like it’s supposed to. When I added something to the bulleted list above this list partially disappeared.
So, let’s see…
I guess it’s time to hit publish and see what happens. Guessing that I’ll have to do a little cleanup online after hitting the publish button. We’ll see…